Posted on

Jungle Baby!

Jungle Baby Quilt | JaimeSews

Back in November I was a vendor at a small craft fair with some amazing local artisans. We spread the word about the event to each of our circles and I had a great time seeing some new and old friends in person after mostly interacting over Facebook & other social media. One of those friends who came by told me her daughter would be having a baby soon, near the end of January, and she wanted to have a baby quilt made for the little guy. After the holidays we met up at the fabric store and had a great time wandering around finding just the right combination of fabrics.

Jungle Baby Quilt | JaimeSews

We settled on a jungle theme using the Animal Dots print as our inspiration and pulling out colors to coordinate. The animal dot print was actually printed diagonally so in order to get the print to sit right and all in the same direction, I had to cut all the center squares & setting triangles on the bias! This wasn’t too bad to cut, but it got interesting when I started to quilt it. Jungle Baby Quilt | JaimeSews

I had initially wanted to do some straight line quilting, but after one line through, it was clear that the bias wasn’t going to allow that without a fight, so I decided to go with my tried-and-true meander stitch.

Jungle Baby Quilt | JaimeSews

The baby came a little earlier than expected so I ended up shipping the quilt to grandma, mom & baby after his arrival. It’s been reported that mom and baby are enjoying the quilt and I couldn’t be happier for them all! Congratulations!Jungle Baby Quilt | JaimeSews

Posted on

The Not-So-Pretty Baby Quilt

If you’re wondering at all from my last post what I was able to get out of the remaining pink knit, I did cut a small receiving blanket just the right size to use up the rest of the bias strips, but I couldn’t bring myself to throw the rest away. SO – I doubled it up, sewed around it, and raggy-cut the edges, but it seemed a little plain. I googled “owl applique” and found this one here and slapped my version of it onto the raggy knit burp rag to produce this:

So, only knit scraps found their way to the trash and I ended up with 2 burp cloths, a large blanket and a receiving blanket!

Now, back who knows how long ago, I just had to have the Riviera Charm Pack from Connecting Threads. Why, I do not know. Pulling it out and looking at it again, I am experiencing a bit of buyers remorse, but in an attempt to make some things for our coming Elise and destash, I decided to make one weekend nap time VERY productive and make a small baby blanket – after all, the pieces were all pre-cut for me!

After laying out 6 rows of 6, I had four squares left over, so I decided to do what the cool kids do and piece them into the backing. Here are the very small (27″ square) results.

They are not the exact colors I would have chosen should I have the chance to pick today, but with hard flooring now in the main part of the house (that is a change since Mr. T was born), it will be something for E to chill on before she gets too mobile. Mr. Johnson says she’ll like it for all the colors…I can only hope he’s right! 🙂